Friday, August 7, 2009

Sleeping Routines or lack there of...

Well, I thought I had things figured out when we just had one. We were so good about the "routine". Every evening we did the same thing, dinner, bath, pjs, book, bed. I never remember having any issues with bedtime. Then along came #2 and at first its always crazy when they are newborn you are not expected to have a routine, you just go with the flow get sleep while you can, whatever. Now the kids are older, Emma is no longer a baby she is a full blown toddler and has totally figured me out and knows how to get her way. I'm not even sure how it got so out of control, both of us working full time and having sooo much driving time to and from work/daycare/grandmas house doesn't help. By the time we get home its usually around 6:30 or 7:00pm and that's barely enough time to feed them and get them to wind down for the night. Aidan was doing well, still sleep in his crib even after his 3rd birthday, then we took a family trip to the beach and he slept in a big boy bed. Well, lets back up, about a month before his birthday we went down to FL for Liz & Grant's wedding (Chris's cousin) and he slept in a regular bed then too and liked it. So, the beach trip just made it stick, so when we got back he wanted nothing to do with his crib which I had taken the front off and turned it into a toddler bed and that didn't matter. So, now he sleeps on the day bed in his room which is fine, but needs one of us to lay down with him to help him fall asleep. Emma still nursing at night refuses to fall asleep unless I nurse and rock her to sleep. Some (most) nights Aidan has a complete fit b/c he wants me to lay down with him, so it leads me to try to nurse Emma to sleep and then go with Aidan until he gets sleepy, I can usually sneak out after a while or tell him I have to go to the bathroom. But, this takes up my whole night and I don't usually get done until after 9pm. Last night was a little amusing, Aidan wanted me and wasn't going to wait for me to put Emma to sleep so he climbed in the rocking chair behind me in Emma's room and I rocked them both to sleep. We did have a sweet moment, he reached around and gave Emma a few kisses on the cheek and then while we rock he rubbed my back and played with my hair, my sweet boy! He can really be sweet when he wants to!

Back to the sleep problems, we never really had issues with Aidan when he was Emma's age, he loved his crib and loved going to bed. Emma just loves being held and rocked, nursed, etc. I have briefly tried the cry it out or stay in the room methods with her and they DO NOT WORK for her, she ends up trying to bang her head on her crib or climb out which she can almost do b/c of her long legs, ugh! So, any advice out there, I have got to get a full nights sleep, she is 16 months people! Help!

One last note on amazing things Mom's can do! I know all my Mom friends can relate to this because they are all amazing and I'm sure have done something like this that only mom's would do. I surprised myself the other night, I went in to rock/nurse Emma back to sleep, it was about 2 or 3 in the morning, I noticed she had an extremely full diaper and her pj pants had gotten peed on, but I didn't realize this until after I had started nursing her. So, I didn't want to stop mid-nurse and have her wake up the whole house so I picked her up and still nursing and laid her on the changing table from the waist down and changed her diaper and put new pj pants on her all with one hand while still nursing her! I was pretty proud of myself and all while being half asleep. Pat myself on the back for that! ha! Anywho, I will post more pictures soon. We are going to the Lazy 5 Ranch in Moorsville tomorrow morning, so hopefully I will get some good pictures of the kids feeding animals!

No comments:

Post a Comment