Monday, January 25, 2010

Update on Aidan's trip to the Dentist

We have been going back and forth about what to do about Aidan and the cavities and getting them filled. The last thing we want to do is traumatize him so young and I don't want to put any drugs in his system either. The only route I thought we would be able to go to not frighten him would be sedation, but thats scary in itself, esp. when the dentist told me there can always be complications with sedation, esp. when he has never had anything like that in his body, who knows how he will react. Like my mom said under an emergency situation that is different, sedation is necessary, but when he is not showing any signs of discomfort and I really had a hard time seeing the spots or shadowing on his x-rays I am starting to have a really hard time with why we should put him through this so young. We definitely are going to brush his teeth more throughly and include flossing which he doesn't seem to mind too much, esp. with those cute little flosser they have now. I just have a hard time justifying how much money this would cost on teeth that he wont have forever. If it gets to the point where he is in pain then we will take action and if we have to pull the tooth early they have spacer they can put in place of the tooth until the permanent tooth comes in. Below is the link to the article my sister sent me.

** 'No proof' for filling baby teeth **Filling rotten baby teeth may be an unnecessary trial for children to endure, experts say.< http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/em/fr/-/2/hi/health/8112603.stm >

1 comment:

  1. Yah, it may be very painful for them to do so, but that's the way of life. Though we don't want to let them get hurt, they must experience it so that they will be braver and stronger once they grow up. But I'm happy for your Aidan, that he's such a brave kid! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete